Search Feature

Monday, November 30, 2009

Spatchcocked Hickory Smoked Turkey with the Trimmings

I was able to put together a Thanksgiving meal Thursday with "deer camp" going on at my house.


I spatchcocked and brined a turkey in a mixture of water, kosher salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, and black pepper. I let the bird brine overnight....




Then placed sliced smoked sausage under the skin of the turkey, rubbed the bird with butter and seasoned with cracked black pepper and kosher salt....



Into my drum cooker with some hickory.....









The smoked sausage makes the meat extra moist and tasty....







I made some smooshed potatoes, onion/garlic pan fried corn....



dressing and broccoli/rice casserole....



pea/bacon salad....



other stuff......




I couldn't eat half of it but wanted to put at least a spoonful of each on the plate....






My deer hunting friends were happy so I guess it was a hit. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a feast! i would have eaten that whole plate plus one more and been happily miserable! did you spatchcock the turkey just to save time? i'm hoping to smoke next years turkey.

pid

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Fine looking turkey dinner Jeanie. I can't really see that giving the deer hunters much incentive to get a deer though, if you keep feeding them like that.

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Mark! :)
I did serve Thanksgiving dinner in the evening after all of the hunters returned so no one would miss out. :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you pid! :)
I like the way the spatchcocked turkey cooks evenly on my drum. It also takes less time. :)

Paul said...

Yummy!!!! you would have won the last throwdown you know!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Paul! I'm not sure about that... but thanks! :)