Search Feature

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Another crawdad boil..... country style

This time it was someone else's turn to do most of the cookin'. :) Here's My Last Crawdad Boil

They did request a pot of shrimp gumbo and bread... I was happy to contribute to the feed.



straining my shrimp stock and cooking the veggies....



Had to taste the gumbo before leaving home... :)



Baked the bread on the Memphis Pro..



Cut and slathered with compound butter....



Wrapped and ready to go.



It's still so dry and brown here...



The closer I got to the cookout spot the greener everything looked.



This was another one of those country cookouts where you have to know the back roads and the exact location or you won't find it.



Take a turn at the trees and follow the left fork in the road.



sheesh the windshield is dirty..



The cookout was held under the car port.





A port-a-potty was provided behind the blue tarp. :)



The crawdad pot, seasoned, boiling and ready....



I got a kick out of the truck rim captain's chairs.



This little fellow almost stole my heart! He was soooo cute. :)



He was very interested in the tractor...



and keeping an ice chest of beer shook up. :)





The simmering pot..



it smelled so good...



They forgot to place a strainer in the bottom of the pot so two men lifted the huge pot and poured it into a smaller pot to strain the crawdads...






They made several trips with the basket but it worked great.






someone's gumbo...



and someone else's hot crawdad....



It was a nice evening. I had not met a lot of the people there, and some I had not seen in a year or two. I enjoyed the good food and catching up on what everyone has been up to.

Looking forward to the next cookout! :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey are you sure your not a little cajun ??? That looks great and a good time for all. My time in texas is over it's good to be home. Bud.

cowgirl said...

Hey Bud! I am a bit cajun. :)
Glad to hear you made it home. I bet the temperatures are cooler in your area.
Hope you had a nice weekend!
Thanks :)

LindaG said...

Jealous! But happy you had such a great time. :)

Anonymous said...

Or have GPS! Your tax dollars did a good job on that Jeanie;-).

I immediately heard Pinkard & Bowden growling PRO-PA(i)NNN in my mind when I saw that huge pot with gasbottle.

Naughty little smile on that little fellow, he knows he's cute, lol.

We officially had our first fall storm last night. Yep, meterologists here start their fall on September first. Unusually early, though. One year we get an heat spells with days over 25 or even over 30 degrees in early September, the other years it just pours half the day. Sun's out today some relief from Irene's remnants, indeed they made it across the ocean.

cheers, d.

cowgirl said...

haha Linda, you would have been more than welcome there. The food was great and there was plenty of it.
Hope you had a nice weekend! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, my heart skipped a beat when I saw the gumbo, but by the end of this post it was literally TAP dancing! lol My kinda party...

Dave~

cowgirl said...

lol Donald you're right GPS would work! :)
That crawdad pot is so huge, and heavy when full. Takes quite awhile to get it heated too.

Glad to hear you are getting some rain and cool weather! Irene didn't make it my way. I'm hoping for lots of snow this winter for moisture in the pastures.

Hope you are having a great week Donald! :)

cowgirl said...

haha Dave Thanks!! :) I'm glad you liked the pics... You would have been welcome too. It was a lot of fun! :)
Thanks..

Smokin Don said...

Now that's what I call good eats!!!
I have to use shrimp here, getting fresh crawfish here a little expensive. Don

cowgirl said...

Thanks Don! :)
It was a nice cookout, I enjoyed the evening.
Hope you can find crawdads sometime.. but going with shrimp isn't a bad idea at all. I love shrimp. :)
Hope you are having a nice week!

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

You got a spare bedroom? I can make myself somewhat useful as long as you take me to the next boil!

cowgirl said...

haha David! I DO have a spare bedroom and just happen to have some crawdads in the freezer. :)
I had planned on having another crawdad boil this summer but haven't had the time. I'll let you know when I do!
Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Cowgirl,

Saw your great posts over at the Bretren!I've always wanted to do a crawdad boil but none sold in the N.E. Do you use nets, traps or something else to catch them if you do? I think Cajun crawdads are the same as crawfish that swim in the streams in the Northeast. I hope so. Haha. Thanks in anticipation of any and all help!

cowgirl said...

Hi Anonymous! Thanks for stopping by. :)
I bet the crawdads in your area are the same.. or at least edible too. :)
I use traps. On the right side of my blog (under the pics of my cookers) there is a "favorites list".
There is a post showing pics of the traps I use. The post is about 3/4's of the way down the list.
Titled "Homemade Crawsdad Traps".

They are easy to make and you can make them any size you want.
Just put bait in and leave them overnight if possible. I use chicken parts ..necks or whatever for the bait.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes!
Thanks again.. :)