Search Feature

Monday, December 15, 2008

Making Bacon Part 2

I recently butchered two pigs and have had the bacon from one curing for several days.

Here is how I cured the bacon..
Curing the Bacon




After 7 days of curing, I wash the cure off of the slab bacon....
I scrub the slab to remove the cure from the bacon, making sure I remove it from the edges too...


I divided the two slabs into 4 pieces.
I left one slab plain, with no added spices after the cure...


This one was cured with Tenderquick and black pepper..... I added a bit of jalapeno powder and more black pepper...


I painted this piece with pure maple syrup...


I made a rolled slab by sprinkling with more black pepper, garlic and onion powder.... then rolled and tied.



The back bacon or canadian bacon in the brine cure....



I soak the cured loins in fresh cool water for about 2 hours to get rid of some of the saltiness of the cure....


I tie these for hanging in my smokehouse.....

I started with two loins but divided one in half.
The larger loin is sprinkled with a cracked steakhouse seasoning.
I sprinkled one of the smaller loins with cracked black pepper and covered the second small loin with maple and a kick of cayenne.
They are ready to smoke. :)





How I cold smoked the bacon...

Smoking the Bacon

4 comments:

Big Dog said...

Hey Cowgirl - that's lookin' sweet! Thanks for all the detail and the descriptive photos. One of these days I'm going to do some bacon too.

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Big Dog!
Hope you give it a try sometime. Once you make the basic cure of TQ and sugar, you can use any spices you like, or none at all.
Good luck to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks good ,I want to do my own bacon this year off my pigs .I have used your canadian bacon recipe Great . Iwas getting info from Smoking meat forums but it dosent seem to be working any more

cowgirl said...

Hi Anonymous!

That forum is being moved to a new server, but will be back up soon.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions... I'm happy to help if I can.