Search Feature

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Pulled Pork Posole





I have a crock pot and I'm not afraid to use it. lol  When things get busy or I just don't feel like cooking, the crock pot comes in handy!
Not sure what to call this, it's sort of a cross between smoked pork green chile stew and posole.

While prepping some of the venison meat harvested this season, I put the crock pot to work. 



Had some smoked pork butt, saved from deer season...



Started with cubed potatoes, onions, garlic and chicken stock. (didn't have pork stock on hand)



Peeled and cubed a bag of Hatch green chiles from my freezer...



added the smoked pulled pork to the pot...





Next I added cooked black beans, pinto beans, hominy, oregano, a bit of cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Thought about adding jalapenos but the flavor was hot enough for me with the hatch chiles..


I let it simmer for several hours while working on the venison. Topped with sour cream, minced onions and cilantro...






The smoked pork flavor came through, also the green chiles. Will make this again in the future!

Had the first light dusting of snow Friday night (early Saturday morning). Just a tiny bit that was gone by the time the sun came up in the morning. So far, winter has been mild here. Heck, I've been able to wear shorts outside during the day. I like it, but we could use the moisture.

Hope everyone has a great week. Keep safe and warm!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope this finds you and yours doing well. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

Tango Joe said...

Good morning Jeanie.
It's been a while since I have stopped by to enjoy reading your blog and this one was a great welcome back.
This dish looks great. Believe it or not, I have never had hominy before so recreating your Posole will be a great way to start. Good thing there is some vac-sealed pull pork in the freezer.
Thanks for sharing.

cowgirl said...

Thank you for asking Jerry, I will check out your site.

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Joe, it's good to see ya!
Hope you have good luck with the posole. It's not traditional, but more of a cross between posole and smoked pork stew.
Hope you're not freezing! I hear the weather is going to be pretty cold the next few days.
Thanks for stopping by Joe! :)

Chris said...

I've got some Hatch chiles in the freezer too, I need to bust them and a pack of pork out and make this asap.

cowgirl said...

Hey Chris, good to see ya! :)
Hope all is well with you, I'm sure you're keepin' busy and cooking up some amazing chow!
Thanks for stopping by. :)