Search Feature

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Making Canadian Bacon

Added note: Here is another link for some of my cold smoked canadian and slab bacon....

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/12/making-bacon-part-3-cold-smoking.html



If you've never tried homemade canadian bacon, you are missing out. :)
It' easy to make, the hardest part is the waiting while the meat cures.
This is one of my favorite recipes.






Start with a large fresh pork loin or back loin..(not tenderloin). This one was around 11lbs.
Cut the loin in half to try both recipes.


Remove all fat from the loin.

I used a dry cure on this half.
1TBS of Morton's Tenderquick mixed with 1 tsp of sugar PER POUND of meat.
Rub the mixture all over the meat and shake off any excess.
Wrap in plastic or place in covered container to cure in your fridge for 6 days.

This half I cured in a brine.
I made a mixture of Morton's Tenderquick and water.....then added my own touch.
10 cloves of garlic
2 dried cayenne peppers
1 TBS jalapeno powder
1 TBS dried onion flakes
1/4 cup of brown sugar

Submerge the meat in the brine, cover and cure in your fridge for 6 days.
After the meat has cured, place in cool fresh water to soak out some of the saltiness. Soak for an hour ...changing the water after 30 minutes.



Make sure the meat is dry, either by placing in your fridge for a day or so or just wiping it down.
I added fresh cracked black pepper to the brine cured half.


For HOT smoking...Place the meat in your smoker. If you do not have a smoker, you can just bake it.
I smoked this one at around 220 degrees until I reached an internal temperature of 160.
This batch was smoked with hickory chips.
The bacon is cooked and ready to eat.

For COLD smoking, smoke at a temperature under 85F. The smoke time depends on how smoky you want your bacon. Check it after 6 hours. Only CURED meats can be cold smoked. After the cold smoke process, the bacon still needs to be cooked. (fried, or what ever is your favorite way).





I let the bacon sit for at least 30 minutes before slicing




Time to slice....I like them thin, you can slice how ever you like them. :)










Bacon all sliced and ready for use.






I divided some of the bacon using waxed paper before bagging and freezing. It makes it easier to get a small batch out of the freezer when needed.






The bacon is ready to eat as is, but I like to brown it in a bit of butter in my cast iron skillet. :)