Search Feature

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Mad Hunky Spares with Smied Tatoes on the BPS Drum

Title looks a bit long.... :)

I had the chance to try some of the Mad Hunky General Purpose dry rub yesterday... Decided to go with spare ribs.




The Mad Hunky rub is made by talented smoking friend Rich at   Mad Hunky Meats .
Not long ago Rich sent some of his goodies for me to try out...
Mad Hunky Hot Wings
I really loved the Hot Whang seasoning.. need to make more of those soon. :)


I removed the membrane from the back of the spares using a paper towel. It's just easier to get a grip on the thin layer then pull it right off.






Seasoned the ribs with Mad Hunky...



Onto the Big Poppa Smoker drum....
also added potatoes rubbed with olive oil and seasoned with coarse salt and cracked black pepper.




After one hour I removed the potatoes. They were still fairly firm, not cooked all the way through.

I let the ribs smoke for 2 hours then smeared with melted corn cob jelly and dotted with butter before wrapping in foil.. ( I make corn cob jelly, it has a hint of honey flavor :))








Let the foiled spares hang out in the smoker for an hour and a half...then removed the foil for the next 30 minutes...



While the ribs were smoking, I made my smied potatoes  (smoked-fried=smied)
sliced, dipped in beer batter then fried til golden..







I sprinkled them with the Mad Hunky seasoning and coarse salt...









I loved the Mad Hunky rub.. it was tasty on the ribs and extra good on those tatoes. lol  I think it would be great on popcorn too.

Not sure if you will see this Rich but thanks! I'm sold on your products... you've got another winner here with your General Purpose rub!
I'm looking forward to trying your brines next. :)



8 comments:

Rueben said...

Ribs are my favorites. And you got me licking my chops!!! Awesome. Like the way you did those spuds also.

Richtee said...

Of COURSE I will see this. And OF COURSE it will/has made me HUNGRY! Nothing worse than a Hungry Hunky! LOL!

Beautiful- simple, yet elegant meal!

I am glad the rub was up to your exquisite taste!

Thank you again lady! I REALLY appreciate you doing this!

"The Mad Hunky"

Old Smoke said...

I really like spares done on the drum, those look sooooo good. I'll have to try "smied spuds" soon.

Blogger is REALLY testing my old eyes, I can't seem to get past the secret "words"....So mostly I just lurk and drool....;)
Have a good week

cowgirl said...

Rueben Thanks! It's good to see you. Hope summer is treating you well. Thanks for stopping by! :)

cowgirl said...

lol Hey Rich!! Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to try your products. I am lovin' em. :)

Looking forward to the pork and poultry brines next!

Hope you had an excellent Labor Day weekend.

Brace yourself....
(((HUGS))) :)

cowgirl said...

Rick thanks!! The ribs were really tasty.

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Haven't seen your food pics for awhile. Are you keeping busy fishing or something? :)

I hear ya on the blogger sign in verification. It's a pain.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Chris said...

I'm sorry....

I'm not sure I heard anything after "corn cob jelly"

What mad science is this? Sounds fantastic!

cowgirl said...

lol Chris! Thanks.. I was just getting ready to post pics of the jelly.
Hope you're having a great week!