Search Feature

Monday, May 21, 2012

Rolf's Greek Pork Braid on the Drum

I found out about this dish from talented friend Rolf in Germany. Rolf mentioned that he was making a the dish and gave me the link to pictures of another pork braid so I could see what they look like. Thank you again Rolf!

 I did some checking around and found the rub ingredients, not the exact amounts so I guessed. :) Rolf said to use pork neck meat but I could not find it. I used pork tenderloin instead.


 I cut two loins into strips...



The spice rub...
 Oregano
 granulated onion
 minced garlic
 papkika
 coarse salt
 cummin
 rosemary
 peppercorns
 coriander
 celery salt
 I used about one teaspoon of each.







I used pics to hold the strips while I braided them...




This was my first cook on my new Myer Metal Works Custom UDS Grate ... I didn't want to get it dirty but I had to. lol








I added twice baked potatoes to the drum...









The whole cook took about 45 minutes...











I loved the pork braid. Not sure what it is called but the flavors were wonderful. I'll be making this again.  :)









Thank you again Rolf! I know you are busy...sending thoughts and prayers your way.

16 comments:

Swell Mommy said...

I've been perusing your site for the past hour and have now resolved to pick up and leave my suburban life for massive acreage where I can build a pond, fish for trout, raise some shrimp and smoke it all in a million different ways.

Though my husband might just have me settle for building a cold smoker. Lol.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That's an interesting way to cook meat Jeanie. Looking good. How did the new grill work out for ya. You gotta break that thing in sometime ya know.

Three Dogs BBQ said...

No, you dirtied up the grate... ;)

Looks great Jeanie. I think I know where you can get that spice combo pre-made. Pennsys Spices makes a blend called Balti that has all of those spices. It is outstanding for sure.

Thanks,

Bill

cowgirl said...

lol Leah! Thanks for the laugh...and thank you for stopping by. It's nice to meet you! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mark! :)
The grill works great. It's heavy duty and will definately out last my drum. I really love the thing...even though it's dirty now. :)
Looks like you have been keeping really busy. Your place is looking great!
Thanks again Mark. :)

cowgirl said...

lol Bill it's dirty now! :)
Thanks for the heads up on the spice mix. I will check it out!
I heard from Rolf today and the braid is called a Gyros Braid. I hope to make more of these in the future.
Thanks again Bill!

Big Dude said...

The spice package sounds very good and the braid sure makes for an interesting presentation. It looks especially good cooking on your new grate.

californiasmokin said...

That looks delicious!Missed having you drop by the forum so I subscribed to your blog!!

Great meal as usual!

Sid said...

Beef cheeks but no pork neck? Amazing! :) I know, used it previously in the sausage. The braid sounds tasty. Of course anything pork sounds good. I'm almost finished building my UDS. I'll have to give one a try. Again, that grate is awesome. A. Chris

cowgirl said...

Thank you Larry! I was happy with the flavor of the braid. Came out tender and moist. I bet pork neck meat would be even better.
Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

cowgirl said...

Hey Paul it's good to see you! Hope all is going well with you. Thanks for stopping by, I've missed ya. :)

cowgirl said...

lol Chris, next pork I butcher I'm definately gonna save the neck meat for this. :)
Great about the UDS!! I would love to see pics if you get the time.
Hope you have a nice weekend Chris...and Thanks.. :)

Chris said...

Braided meat is to meat at braided fishing line is to monofilament.

Nice work!

cowgirl said...

lol Chris! I like the way you think! :)
Thanks

David said...

I turn my back for a moment and now you're braiding meat? MY HERO!

cowgirl said...

lol David..Thanks!! :)