Search Feature

Thursday, October 27, 2011

I think I have found my favorite chile rellenos combo...

I've made many a chile relleno using smoked chicken, pulled pork, regular ole beef and cheese...but I think these are my favorite. :)

I came across some nice Hatch chilies...



blistered and steamed them for easy peeling...



made the filling using prepared beef cheek meat, minced onions, minced peppers and crumbled asadero cheese...



peeled and removed the seeds from the chilies, stuffed with the beef cheek filling...



dusted lightly with flour...



I prepared my batter. This time I whipped 8 egg whites, folded in the hand-beaten yolks and 8 TBS of flour..





Instead of dipping the whole thing in the batter, it is easier for me to dip the bottom of the stuffed chile, place it in the hot oil, then spoon batter on the top while they are frying..





The beef cheek asadero chile rellenos with sauce....



The hot asadero cheese and beef cheek filling oooozed out when I cut the chile open...



One of those little whimpers (usually heard while tasting bacon wrapped bacon) escaped from my lips as I took the first bite and for the first time ever, my eyes rolled into the back of my head. lol

I'm not sure if it was due to being hungry or the combo in the filling, but I loved these! I'll make them again for sure. :)

24 comments:

wannabe chef said...

Those look like some of the best chile rellenos I have seen ever I am gonna have to try this out.

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering just looking at those. Yummmm

Mrs. JP said...

That batter idea is brilliant. It's good to be back reading your blog--it always makes me hungry :O)

Rueben said...

Well Cowgirl, sweet and simple....I read this post and it looks like I just found my favorite. Thanks (:{

cowgirl said...

Thanks WannabeChef! I really liked this batch. :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Lulaharp! It's nice to meet you, thanks for stopping by!

cowgirl said...

Hey Mrs JP! It's good to see you back. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Thanks! :)

cowgirl said...

Rueben thank you!! Good to see ya. :)

Prairie Cat said...

Oh goodness, I think it is time for some lunch! I might have to try your batter technique. Thanks for sharing!

Ross in Ventura said...

This is one I'll do soon, I have some Hatch Chili's in the freezer Masterfully done Jeanie

Ross

Marc van der Wouw said...

Looks great!!

Sid said...

Very interesting combo and delicious looking. Rellenos are one of my favorite things. I'll have to see if the local butcher I recently found can get cheek.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Prairie Cat! :)
Another easy way to batter them is to spoon a "pillow" of batter into the hot skillet and lay the stuffed peppers on top...then spoon on more batter. It's a lot easier than dipping a stuffed pepper sometimes.
Hope you have good luck with them.. Thanks for stopping by! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Ross! It's good to see you. :)
Hope you are having a nice weekend!

cowgirl said...

Mark Thank you too!! Hope you are having a good day. :)

cowgirl said...

Sid Thank you! Hope the butcher can find some for you.
Thanks for stopping by too... it's nice to meet you. :)

Sid said...

Hi Jeanie! Forgot to mention that with the removal of the anonymous comment access I had to sign up with Goggle. In a past life I was known as "Another Chris". Decided to shorten the name up a little bit.:)

cowgirl said...

Hi Chris, Thanks for letting me know! :)
Some day you will have to tell me how you get "Sid" out of "Another Chris". :)
Good to see ya!

Sid said...

Many, many moons ago, my friends and I past our time racing motocross. Sid comes out of "Sideways" which I was quite a lot! It's been a nickname for many , many moons. :)

cowgirl said...

Chris that's a great story!
lol I bet it was a lot of fun. :)
I used to have a dirt bike, didn't race but really had fun with it.
Last time I wrecked it I went over the handle bars.. I didn't repair the bike and didn't replace it.
Sometimes I miss it...
Thanks for letting me know. :)

Dave~ said...

Hey Jeanie...look at me, I'm posting again too!! lol Just wanted to say that you ARE the Chili Rellenos Queen! I am SO gonna try this...maybe this weekend.

Your Friend
Dave~

cowgirl said...

Dave great to see you posting! :)
Thanks.... (((HUGS)))

Becky said...

Going to have try these sometime!! Yum-O!!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Becky! Good to see ya. :)