Search Feature

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Smoky Crowned Venison with Spaetzle and Beer Bread

lol I have no idea what to call this... I put a good shot of crown in it so I'm going with 'Crowned Venison'. :)

I cooked three pieces of bacon in my pot, then sauted minced onion and garlic in the bacon drippings..
added about 3/4 of a cup of crown, two pinches each of rosemary and thyme, about 1/2 tsp of pepper blend that cooking friend Phesant sent from Wisconsin.
Then added some of my home canned venison , juice and all.







Placed the venison in the smoker with some hickory...




then made a skillet of beer bread and placed it into the smoker too. :)





While the venison and beer bread were doing their thing I whipped up a batch of spaetzle.

2 eggs beaten

1/4 cup of milk

1 cup of flour

salt and pepper



I use a colander to make spaetzle... it's easy to use and I have it on hand. I know they make special utensils for this but what the heck.. this works fine. :)

I place the colander on it's side above a pot of salted boiling water.. place 2 big spoonfulls of the spaetzle batter over the holes and use the spoon to smoosh the batter around. The little pieces of batter fall into the boiling water.


Give them a stir and they float to the top.




Let them cook for about 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and toss with butter.




meanwhile..

After one hour at 350F, the venison concoction thickened nicely in the smoker..





The beer bread came out golden brown....




I really...




really....



liked this. :)



14 comments:

Paul - Berry Laker said...

Looks good and I bet it tasted GREAT.

Sorry to sound stuuuuuupid, but at the beginning, you added 3/4 cup of Crown. What is CROWN? My thought was Crown Royal.

Down the road I hope I can contact you on a couple of questions on building the smokers.

Have a GREAT week.

Big Dude said...

I can see why you really, really liked it - looks delicious. I've been wanting to try spaetzle and you make it look really simple.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Paul-Berry Laker! I really liked this meal. :)
Not a stupid question at all.. I did use Crown Royal. Not long ago I made something called 'Buck and Bourbon' and used the Crown.. I liked the flavor the Crown added. :)

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the smokehouse and smokers. Feel free to contact me.

Thanks again.. hope you have a great week too!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Larry! The spaetzle is so easy to make. You can add different herbs or seasonings to the batter.. I just used salt and pepper in this batch.
Good luck with it. :)

LindaG said...

That all looks really good. Thanks for all the instructions. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have never made Spaetzel it looks a lot like gnoccie (please excuse my spelling) or home made noodles that my Italian / slavic decent wife makes.

It sure looks good.

Do you have a good empanada recipie?

Jim Dorchak
http://qm2ss.blogspot.com/

Marc van der Wouw said...

Looks great!! very nice..

cowgirl said...

Thanks Linda! The spaetzle are pretty easy to make and so tasty. :)

cowgirl said...

Jim I bet your wife's home made noodles are excellent!
I do have a favorite empanada recipe but have not made them in awhile. I'll do that and make a post about it.
Thanks Jim! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you so much Marc! :)

Mrs. JP said...

Wow, thanks, now I know how I know how to make spaetzel (sp). It all looks yummy.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mrs JP, it's easy stuff to make. Someone mentioned to me that it is good fried too. I've got to try that. :)

Anonymous said...

Yep Lori's the queen of soup and noodles.
On the empanadas I think that it is the dough that makes it right, and I have not been able to get it right. I have been cheating and going to my favorite Colombian Diner and buying dough from them.

I am interested in seeing your ideas on this as well as stuffing. I have stuffed them with smoked pork and they were killer. Also I am looking to see what type of dipping sauca you make. My chile sauce skills are not genetically in place for me.

Jim Dorchak

cowgirl said...

Jim, I ber Lori makes great soun and noodles! Your smoked pork empanadas sound good too. Great way to use leftover pulled pork.
I'll dig my recipe out and make a batch soon.


Thanks!