Search Feature

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Changing the Leathers on the Windmill

It doesn't seem that long ago that I posted about changing the leathers on the windmill... they last around one to two years depending on use.
It's not a difficult job to do...just takes a bit if muscle and a bit of good luck. :)

Secure a chain high on the windmill tower, then attach a comealong to the chain..



Attach another chain to the comealong and make a couple half hitches around the windmill wooden rod. Use the comealong to pull the well rod out of the ground.



Unscrew each rod as you go and set them to the side out of the way...




the old, worn leathers...



the new leathers....















The new leathers attached to the bottom of the wooden well rod...



ready to drop back into the well...





the wooden rods ready to be attached and lowered back into the well...



use a wire brush to remove any dirt on the threads, brush with a bit of anti-seize, then screw the two rods together.... repeat with the remaining rods.





as you lower the rod back into the well.. make darned sure you have a good grip on it or you'll be fishing it out of the bottom of the well. lol :(


















when all wooden rods are in the well, attach the windmill rod with bolts...




the windmill rod goes up to the windmill head...




if the windmill turns and water comes out, you're good to go... If not, call the windmill repair man and hope for the best. lol :)


20 comments:

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Oh yeah? Well I had to tighten the two screws on top of the screen door today. And it was really cold out.

Top that.

cowgirl said...

LOL Drew! Hope all went well for you! Thanks for the laugh.. :)

Big Dude said...

Looks like a nice little wintertime project - I just filled the bird feeders for my project today.

cowgirl said...

Larry, I was just thinking that next time I should replace the leathers in advance in the fall before cold weather sets in. Sure would be nice not putting up with the cold north wind while out there!

I bet the birds are going to appreciate that feed!
Thanks Larry...

Old Smoke said...

Sounds like you may have dropped a rod into the well once before? HUH!:)
I noticed that it was getting a bit cool out there in "sage brush" country. Just raining here since Thursday and off and on until Christmas.
Stay warm and dry

cowgirl said...

:) Not a rod Rick but about a 2' section of pipe broke off down there one time. $579 later it was fixed. lol
Glad to hear the weather isn't too bad in your area. I've not checked the forcast for here but it's been a fairly nice weekend... cold but dry.
Hope you have a great Christmas Rick!

Jim Dorchak said...

Where did you get the new "leathers"?

And did you build the original wind mill?

LindaG said...

Oh my gosh. I can't imagine having to fish it out...
Hope you have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the education, Cowgirl. I never would have imagined there was wood down in that hole. My only experience with windmill towers was a 100 footer converted to hold up a ham radio antenna. It was a fun climb.

cowgirl said...

Hi Jim,
The local hardware store carries the leathers. Windmills like mine are common around here so they keep parts on hand. There are also a few windmill repair men in the area that keep rods, blades, etc.. Some of the ranchers have switched to solar... but I like the old windmill.
This one has been here for years...I'd say at least 40 years anyway.

It takes a little bit if TLC but it's a good deep well. :)

cowgirl said...

It sure is a pain when something has to be fished out of a well.. The well repair man has the right tools to get the job done, it just costs me quite a bit to call him to come out. lol
Thanks Linda, hope you have a great week too!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Anonymous, windmills are pretty amazing. :)
I bet climbing that tower was exciting! I should check into ham radios, I can just imagine the people you are able to connect to with one. It would be interesting!

Mrs. JP said...

Wow, that was a great tutorial. Do you use that well for all of your water?
Merry Christmas, Cowgirl, if I don't get around here the rest of the week!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mrs JP, This well waters the pastured cattle and horses. Also keeps water in my little shrimp pond.
I have a different well for the house, barn, coop and farmyard.

Hope you, JP and family have a wonderful Christmas too!!
Thank you! :)

elenarain said...

Cowgirl,

Your posts are always so interesting!
I thought I was doing well yesterday when I finally learned to shoot a rifle..WOW, you've got quite the skill set going. Can't wait to see what you are up to next. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

what kind of wood are the rods? they used to use ash here on cape cod years ago. if we can find any we use them for eel spear poles

cowgirl said...

Thank you Elenarain! Seems like you have to be a jill of all trades when living in the middle of nowhere. :) Hope you have a great Christmas too!

cowgirl said...

Anonymous they are ash. How interesting to use them for eel spear poles! I would love to see pictures of them... sounds very interesting. I've not seen many eels in person, can't imagine what it would be like to catch one. :)
Thanks!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Hey that was pretty educational Jeanie. I have a well here with a hand pump that maybe someday I might have to do the same. I don't know, I hav'nt used it much yet, but I suppose my leathers could rot away before they actually wear out.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mark! I'd like to have a hand pump well here at the house. The windmill works great in the pasture but I would get tired of the creak and moan of the thing if it were right outside of my window..
who knows maybe I'd get used to it. :)
Thanks..