Search Feature

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Chinese BBQ Pork




I've made this quite a bit and really love the flavor of the pork. Also this method of grilling the whole pork loin is quick and it will feed several people.

I butterfly a pork back loin ... (tenderloins work fine, they can be marinated whole)






I scored the meat to soak up all the marinade goodness...



made the marinade... make two batches if needed to cover the meat.

2 cloves minced garlic
one "thumb sized" piece of fresh ginger peeled and minced
3 tsp sherry
3 1/2 TBS soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 TBs honey
1/2 tsp five spice
and about 1/2 tsp red food coloring





Chill the meat overnight...



Onto the Hasty Bake cooker with the hot coal rack lowered half way down... a medium high heat.
I added a dish of rice to catch some smoke. The rice has minced onions and chicken stock included.



I let the slab of pork grill for about 15 minutes... think of it as a thick pork chop.



flipped over to grill the top side...





Flipped back over and added some asparagus seasoned with olive oil, cracked black pepper and coarse salt..







I love asparagus and had to taste a few while everything was cooking. :)

Cubed the meat and made smokey fried rice....



The Chinese BBQ Pork, grilled asparagus and smokey fried rice....





It's an easy way to feed several people and the whole cook takes about 35 minutes. 
When I make this dish using pork shoulders, I slice them 1/4" thick, marinade and roast them in the oven. (stirring often)
Sometimes I use whole pork tenderloins and just grill them.

The whole butterflied back loin grilled is quick and easy. :)

Thanks for looking!


10 comments:

Joe said...

OK, this is the second successive post without bacon. What have you done with Cowgirl???

That looks very good. Will see what the weekend brings.

Thanks,
Joe

cowgirl said...

lol Joe! I'm slipping...
I'll post a bacon one asap. :D
Thanks, good to see ya! :)

Rueben said...

Hi ya Cowgirl!! Beautifully done. This is the type of cuisine that is very popular here in Guam. You would fit right in. Looks delicious and the prep and presentation is great as usual.

Adios for now,
Rueben

Greg said...

That looks really good.
It depends on my todo list.


Greg. ;)

moose said...

wow made my first fattie thanks to your blog fanastic eating

cowgirl said...

Rueben how have you been? Good to see you! I made your Guam style brisket recently and loved it. Hope to make it again soon.
Hope all is well with you, thanks for stopping by! :)

cowgirl said...

Greg thank you! Thanks for stopping by too. :)

cowgirl said...

Moose that's great! Glad to hear it turned out well for you. Thank you for taking the time to let me know, I appreciate it! :)

Rueben said...

Doing fine Cowgirl!! Been very busy in my retirement. Saw the post. I followed a link on my blog that I didn't recognize and it led me to your wonderful post. Great job!!!

Keep up all that wonderful cooking.

cowgirl said...

Rueben I'm glad you approve of the post. You and Lupe are an inspiration, I just love the way you folks live and cook.
I imagine you are having a wonderful time with your retirement. Hope you're doing some fishing. :)
Thanks again for the kind comment and for stopping by. It's great to see you!