Search Feature

Sunday, January 6, 2013

I Love Roses!

Especially shrimp roses. :)



This was my new years eve snack.  I didn't do anything for new years eve, stayed home and nursed a cold, but I wanted to treat myself to something special...so this was it.

I made a batch of sticky rice in my new steamer (which was a gift from friends during deer season)



After the rice steams I flip the basket a bit to form the rice into a ball..



then the rice stores in a bamboo basket called a tip khao.







I love the sticky rice and have been thinking of new ways to serve it. I decided to try shrimp roses.



I peeled and deveined some fairly large shrimp...



butterflied each shrimp and cut them in half...
Used 2 halves to form each rose, then used pics to hold them.



I gave the roses a quick poach in a bath of water seasoned with salt and Chinese five spice powder..
You could season the poaching water with anything.



Then I formed the sticky rice into little discs, set a shrimp rose on each and served with wasabi for dipping.



I curled up on the couch with my warm sox, a warm blanket, the shrimp roses and enjoyed my quiet new years eve. Even though I didn't feel so well health wise, the roses brightened my night. lol





8 comments:

LindaG said...

That is fantastic! (Yummy, too, I bet.)

Unknown said...

I love king prawns and these look so nice. Im fairly impressed by the creativity as well. Who would have thought you can make a prawn look like a rose

cowgirl said...

Thanks Linda! They were pretty tasty. I think I could sprinkle them with seasonings too to spice them up a bit. Might try that next time. :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Jackson!
I appreciate you stopping by my blog too. :)

David said...

Clever! And tyhat steamer is quite interesting. I've not seen anything like it. I hope are feeling better by now.

cowgirl said...

Thank you David!! I really like the steamer. It was a gift during deer season and they showed me how to flip the basket around to make the sticky rice into a ball. Had fun with it. :)

Still not back to 100% but I'm trying.
Hope all is well with you. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Paul said...

Looks great Jeanie, it's a real curse having a shrimp alergy. Hope you're getting better.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Paul, good to see ya. Sorry about that allergy!!