Search Feature

Friday, January 4, 2013

Chickenfried Venison Backstrap and Bear Fat Biscuits

Had the chance awhile back to fry up some of the backstrap from this fall's deer season .


I go the simple route... salt, pepper and flour on the steaks.


then fry til brown in hot oil or lard in a cast iron skillet...





 I drain all but 3 TBs of the drippings, add 3 TBs of flour and make a skillet gravy..





I cook the flour for a minute or two before adding milk, cracked black pepper and coarse salt. I start with 2 cups of milk and add more if needed. (thanks Alex :))



Whipped up some biscuits using
2 cups of flour
1/4 cup of bear lard
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
about 1 tsp sugar ( you can add more or less)
and 3/4 cup of milk
Combine the dry ingredients well, then work the lard in completely. Add the milk last..









The chickenfried backstrap, smooshed potatoes, skillet gravy and bear fat biscuits...
and a little bit if salad to make it look healthy. :)




It's such a simple meal but it's one of my favorite comfort meals.  It's a nice feeling to have venison on hand for the winter too...  :)

6 comments:

LindaG said...

What a great looking meal!
I am getting closer to learning how to make my own biscuits.
We're a ways to getting our first deer though.
Thank you for sharing this!

P.S.

Do you need to have 2 kinds of verification?

hoghunta said...

Aloha Cowgirl,

Glad to be back at your blog so much goodness here :) Love this simple comfort food and the gravy looks great. Will definitely do this if we get lucky during deer season.

Mahalo Nui Loa for all your hospitality and sharing!

Aloha,

Dom

cowgirl said...

Thanks Linda! I like yeast biscuits too but usually don't want to take the time to make them..these are quicker. lol
I'm not sure what is going on with the verification. I will check into it. Hope you are having a great weekend! :)

cowgirl said...

Hello Dom, it's nice to see you again!
I hope your deer season goes well. Also hope you have a great 2013.
Thank you for stopping by! :)

Unknown said...

How much milk do you add to the skillet gravy! cant wait to try this asap!

cowgirl said...

Hi Alex, I add about 2 cups of milk then add more if needed. Don't know why I didn't put that in my post!! Must have been having a blonde moment. lol
Thanks for stopping by, hope it works out well for you!