Search Feature

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Buck & Bourbon....with Beer Bread on the drum

A talented smoking friend that goes by the name of Phesant, let me borrow his copy of the LL Bean wild game cookbook.. (thanks again!)

I decided to try this venison recipe... I didn't have bourbon but used Crown Royal whiskey instead...it's what was on hand.


I cubed some venison backstrap, seasoned with salt and pepper then rolled in flour and browned in a bit of oil...









removed the browned venison, added onions, garlic and peppers... cooked until tender.




then added the remaining ingredients... 3 oz of whiskey, thyme, rosemary, 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of water and one beef bouillon cube...




placed in the drum smoker at 300 degrees to slow cook with a bit of mesquite...




while the pot was simmering I added a few small backstrap steaks seasoned with a home made pepper blend that Phesant also sent for me to try out...




the pepper blend was sooooo tasty!!



I made a batch of beer bread and threw it onto the drum....














The Buck & Bourbon with Beer Bread... and a sip of crown. :)




The recipe is a keeper... I have quite a bit of venison from last season to use up so I'll be making this again.



10 comments:

Rsturgis said...

Another fine example of the great stuff you keep turning out on your smokers! Well done........Rick

Big Dude said...

What a great looking meal - especially the bread. I wish I had a hunter friend who liked to eat all of the deer BUT the backstrap, which he would give to me - like that will ever happen.

Bushman said...

That looks great. I'm always searching for new venison recipes. I will try that one shortly. I just put 2 sets of backstraps in the freezer from our early doe season here so they will go to good use. Might make that and freeze it and take it to deer camp this year. Thanks Cowgirl

cowgirl said...

Thank you so much Rick! :)

cowgirl said...

lol Larry, wouldn't that be nice! :)
Thank you!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Bushman!
Congratulations on the deer. I know you will put it to good use. :)
Hope you have a successful hunt the rest of the season too!

Carson said...

I am so stealing this recipe. Thanks Cowgirl!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Carson, Hope it works out well for you!

Anonymous said...

This so looks like a keeper recipe to me Cowchicky!! It gonna hafta wait for this years harvest tho cuz I've done used up all last years kill :) Cant wait!!!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Sap! :)
Sorry to hear you are outta venison but I bet you will take care of the problem soon. Good luck with the hunt this year! and remember to take jerky for your pockets. :)