Search Feature

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Camp Dutch Oven Game Hens




I brought some of my flavored game hens with me on the last camp out...
Game Hens

Filled the bottom of the dutch oven with cubed potatoes, onions and garlic..




Seasoned the birds with straight salt and pepper, then added a bit of chicken stock to the pot..




I let the potatoes get a head start while burning down the wood for hot coals...



Broke the logs up and placed a few hot coals on top and let her cook.
I rotated both the pot and lid while the birds cooked.




 It was a rainy, cool day. Really nice....and the fish were biting. :)





The birds took about 45 minutes. They smelled SO good. :)








I went for a leg and thigh ... 



The dutch oven game hens, potatoes and garden tomatoes...


When I picked up the leg, the bone slipped right out. They were tender!












Wish I had a lake in my backyard, so I could replicate the dining experience at home. :) The birds were delicious!

The weather has cooled off here. I'm getting ready to make a pot of bacon and corn chowder for supper. Time for comfort food!

Just two more days til election. I will be glad when it's over. What ever happens, I'm not planning on changing the way I live. :)

Hope everyone has a great day, thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Errol Wayne said...

Those look sooo delicious! I'll be glad when this election is over too.

cowgirl said...

Thank you! They turned out so tender, I was a happy camper. :)
I'll be sure to vote tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

Dutch oven camp game birds......beautiful!
There's no wonder why this blog is all over the world wide web!!

Very nice. I especially like the pic of the fork in front of the lake.

AND...do we vote "for" one of them or "against" one of them??

cowgirl said...

Thank you Sap! :D
It was pretty nice at the lake. Even caught a few fish. :)
I'm ready for the election to be over. Heck, why can't we have 50 candidates to choose from, like the Miss America contests. lol

Hope you're having a great week!

Tokarev said...

And now I'm hungry again.. Lol!

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Tokarev!
After posting these pics, I'm hungry too. I'm going to dig one of these birds out of the freezer for supper tonight. Won't be as enjoyable as eating while fishing, but right now, I don't mind.
It's great to see you, thanks for stopping by! :)

Unknown said...

How about fixing up a big plus pot of potatoe soup with a pan of corn bread.

cowgirl said...

Dang Larry, that sounds great! I made some bacon corn chowder the other day but potato soup sounds pretty danged good. Haven't made cornbread in a long time too.. Thanks for the idea!!
Also, Thanks for stopping by! :)