Search Feature

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

More of those Dutch Oven Bacon Biscuits sittin' on Sausage Gravy





Biscuits and gravy have always been my go to meal for mornings after a late night or when I just do not feel like cooking. They are easy and fairly quick! These bacon biscuits take a little more effort than regular ones but not that much.

I get the fire going first....


make my biscuit dough...




slathered with bacon drippings and topped with crisp bacon.  ( To save time, I fried a couple of pounds of bacon before leaving home, then jarred the drippin's and bagged the bacon.)





Rolled and sliced into biscuits...



While the flames were high on the tractor rim, I made the gravy. Browned the sausage first...I use spicy sausage.




added flour, milk and a few seasonings...




I leave the gravy on the thin side, it will thicken later. Top the gravy with the biscuits...
Forgot to mention. I flatten the biscuits slightly so they will cook evenly and fast. They are probably 1 1/2" thick.



Shovel a few hot coals on top and let er go...
No heat on the bottom of the dutch oven, just the top.




The biscuits take about 25 minutes. I rotate both the lid and the pot while they are cooking..



The hot Bacon Biscuits sittin' on Sausage Gravy...






I love the little pieces of crisp bacon....




Served with fruit to make it look healthy.

The biscuits are good by themselves too, slathered in butter. Just another camp meal that I should make at home. :/

Thanks for looking! :)

10 comments:

Ross in Ventura said...

Great looking meal at the lake Jieney

Ross

cowgirl said...

Thank you Ross! I seem to eat better meals while camping than I do at home..
Hope all is well with you. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Oneeye said...

Glad to see you back here! Great looking eats as usual.

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Oneeye! :)
I'm trying to catch up on posting. Hope you're having a great spring! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Jeanie,

I seaked around a semilar recipe and now I know that I´ll try yours.
Looks great!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Rolf, I bet yours were delicious!!
I made a batch in my oven this morning. They were good but not as tasty as camp biscuits.
Good to see you! :)

Jim Dorchak said...

I think that I am going to have to make this! It is kind of like biscuit dumplings? Wow it looks yummy. I made some sausage this past week with my stash of LEGGs from the former USA.
I still need to make some bacon though as I have not slaughtered Boris yet, errr is that Kaytlin now that he is "With out" lets say:0
Thanks for the good meal idea. Chao from Chile

Chilebrown said...

I shed a tear because those bacon biscuits and gravy looked so beautiful. WOW.

cowgirl said...

lol Jim, I get a chuckle out or your pig's names. :)They're going to be mighty tasty!

These are just regular ole biscuits but with bacon inside. ...and the bacon dripping flavor.
Hope you give them a try sometime. Thanks! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Chilebrown! Good to see ya. :)