Search Feature

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Deer Season


Deer hunting was successful this year.



I have one buck mule deer and one white tail doe in the freezer. (photos of the buck)



Have been processing the meat. 


I like to trim the backstraps, cut some steaks and leave a couple whole hunks for cooking over the campfire.



I cut the steaks thick, then butterfly them open...







The backstrap steaks and a couple of backstrap roasts..



Then I start processing roasts, cubing some and leaving a few whole..





Some of the roasts, backstrap steaks and cubed meat...
I will use the cubed meat for burger, sausage, stews, canning etc.. 






Wrapped and packaged for the freezer...







more roasts and cubed meat...



Saved the shoulders whole for slow roasting over a fire...



wrapped in plastic then bagged for the freezer...



As soon as this last cold front came through, I made a pot of venison stew and let it simmer on low all day. It smelled SO good.




tasted pretty good too....



I'm really thankful for the meat and will enjoy it all year. 

Hope everyone else had a safe and successful season!

14 comments:

Three Dogs BBQ said...

Hi Jeanie. Please excuse a stupid question, but all we get around here are Whitetail. Do the Mule deer have a different taste?

I also have a 3 lb venison roast in the freezer right now. Any suggestions?

LindaG said...

Wow. Congratulations! That all looks great. :-)

I've bookmarked this post for future perusal.

Enjoy!

Bushman said...

excellent! We put 4 whitetails in the freezer this year. I ground up 35 lbs of burger just to make snack sticks and sausage with. I did 7 qts and 10 pints of canned venison and then stuck roughly 65 pounds of steak and burger in the freeze.
Congrats on the Mulies!

Mrs. JP said...

always good to have meat in the freezer!!

David said...

WOw that's a lot of meat!

Chris said...

Oh good, so wrapping with garbage bags works. We wanted to keep the smallest hog Trevor harvested whole so I could try cooking that way. We didn't have vacuum bags that would fit so we triple wrapped with plastic wrap, double bagged and taped it. Though that would work.

cowgirl said...

Hi Bill, sorry for the late reply! Whitetail and Mule deer taste pretty much the same to me. They are both feeding on the same things. The mule deer are usually a bit bigger.
As for your roast, No matter how I cook a roast I like to keep it pink in the center.
Not sure if that helps but good luck to you Bill!

cowgirl said...

Linda thanks! Hope you have a great Christmas. :)

cowgirl said...

Bushman that's great!! You're set for the winter. :)
Congrats on your deer!

cowgirl said...

Mrs JP, I've only had the chance to make the stew so far. Caught a flu bug and haven't had anything solid for awhile. lol
Hope all is well with you in the Holler!

cowgirl said...

David it's a good feeling to have on hand. :)
Hope you have a great Christmas!

cowgirl said...

Chris I've not had any problems with wrapping in plastic then into a bag. I make sure the trash bag isn't scented though. :)
Congrats on Trevor's hog, that's fantastic!

Unknown said...

Jeanie, did you take any pics of the buck in the field? I'd like to see a different shot of it's antlers if you have one.

cowgirl said...

O'Mordha, I didn't get a pic in the field on this one, I'll see if I can find another angle while hanging. :)