Search Feature

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Surf-n-Turf on the Tractor Rim



Steak night while camping is a favorite but this time we added a few extra items. One friend caught a couple of nice catfish. They were leaving the next day so we cooked them up that night.



She was in charge of frying fresh cut french fries while her husband fried her catfish and a wrapped, marinaded pork loin.



I started a skillet of mushrooms, butter and garlic on the low heat side of the fire...



then added garlic butter for the crablegs.
Having three cooks on one fire was interesting but fun! :)



When the fish and fries were finished I tossed the seasoned ribeyes on the fire.



and the crablegs were last....



It was a tasty feast. The fresh catfish, fries, ribeye with shrooms, cucumber salad, crab legs and a cup of garlic butter for dipping...





I wish I ate this well at home. Maybe when the fire ban is lifted here I will set up the tractor rim in the backyard and fire up some more surf-n- turf. :)

16 comments:

Marc van der Wouw said...

Wow...you always amaze me with your cooking outdoors.....love the way you cook...;-)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Marc! :)
I love cooking over an open fire. Just seems to taste better when outdoors.
Hope you are having a great weekend! :)

LindaG said...

I just had dinner, and you make me hungry!
;)
Have a great Sunday evening. ♥

Tony said...

You know after reading your Blog it made my tongue slap the back of neck 5 times good cookin girl

cowgirl said...

Thanks Linda, Hope you have a great evening too! :)

cowgirl said...

Hahahaa Tony..Thanks! Thanks for the laugh too. :) Hope you are having a nice weekend!

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

You eat better than most fancy restaurants! Looks wonderful!

Big Dude said...

Damn girl - you're hurtin me again.

Rueben said...

I love surf and turf. What more on a campfire. Like I have said, you are a master of campfire cooking.

You should do a blog book on campfire cooking.

Simply fantastic, Cowgirl.

-Rueben- (:{

cowgirl said...

David Thank you! I am going to check out your re-launch. I received your message but haven't had a chance to reply. I plan on it!
Thanks friend. :)

cowgirl said...

:) Larry!! Thanks friend. :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Rueben! :) If I knew how to do a blog book ...I might just do it. lol
((HUGS)))

Chris said...

With eats that good it makes me wonder why you would ever go home!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Chris! Good to see ya. :)

1st Man said...

Gosh, you're food looks amazing. How come the people I go camping with can't do something like this, lol. While I'm hungry looking at your food, I'm doubly intrigued by the tractor rim firepit. I think that's pretty ingenious. I'm thinking I need to find someone who can give me a spare tractor rim. I have been wanting a fire pit at our farm, especially with cooler weather coming, but it's on my long list, way further down (I was thinking of building something out of brick). I think this is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the pics!

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks 1st Man! :)
I always throw in a pack of hotdogs just in case but most of the time we eat well while camping.

The tractor rim works great and I can move it around the farm to where ever I want it. Sometimes the south winds are so strong that I set it up on the north side of a building. I want to build a brick fire pit too but can't decide on an ideal location here.

Hope you find a tractor rim, the are handy to have around! :)
Thanks again...