Search Feature

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rain! .. and a series of bad photos :)

A sweet friend of mine says " The heavens must be crying" when it rains. :)
Not sure how I got to be so lucky but I received a good dose of much needed rain this weekend.



Enough rain to make puddles in the yard..



I could almost hear the grass sucking up the moisture. :)

My rain gauge showed 2 inches in a little over an hour.
I was getting ready to go fishing with friends on their little creek when the rain hit. I assumed the fishing trip had been cancelled. Turned out they didn't get a drop if rain.



So I loaded up my fishing pole and headed their way...it's not easy to find in the dark. lol
Come to a dead end on the dirt road, then keep to the fence line while crossing the wheat pasture...






you can see the power pole light on their property... (yes the road was bumpy lol )



past the sage on the right and trees on the left...



you come to a left turn in the path..
then take another right.



ta-da... made it!

There is a big cooker on the left, a pile of firewood that is burned in a rusted out stock tank fire ring... and a cinder block pit on the right (like mine) for cooking pigs..



I didn't fish, I just enjoyed the evening visiting and star gazing. The air felt so cool...
Yeah I caught heck for getting rain when they didn't, but it was a nice night anyway. :)


This is what the drive looks like in the daylight

18 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

Wow, I thought the holler was in the boondocks,,,I think they've got us beat. That's so great that you got rain.

Big Dude said...

Good for you - we had rain the other day from a very small storm cell that pasted over. My daughter is in San Antonio and they've been a long time with intense heat and no rain.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mrs JP. The rain was soooo nice! :)
I love the little creek location too, it's so peaceful out there.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Larry, glad to hear you got some rain too! If I get any extra, I'll be sure to send some to your daughter. :)

Anonymous said...

So, that's where our rain went.

Jeanie stop stealing our rain, we haven't had any since last week, lol.

And today it peaked at a whopping 27 degrees centigrade, lol.

We will get a few showers over the next few days, so nothing to worry about. Except perhaps the plague of stinger musquitos we are said to get this week, due to the dry spring, followed by rainy summer, and this weeks heat they should hatch right now.

We'll see.

cowgirl said...

Haha Donald, Thanks for the rain! I needed it. :)
I don't envy you the mosquitos. The weather has been so dry here I've not seen one this summer.
Hope they don't carry you away. :)

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Really glad to hear you got a little rain for a change Jeanie. It's about time. Mabybe thats the start of few more well needed showers.

Kevin L. said...

Rain? Whats that?

Kelly said...

Lucky you! We've eatched storms build all around Marlow since May, and they always veer off. I was out hosing down the house and yard yesterday in case the grass fire down the road headed our way. No fun!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mark! Hope your mud and flooding are drying up. Seems like we need to make a trade. :)

cowgirl said...

Ha Kevin.. it smells and feels wonderful!! I had forgotten how much fun it is to catch a raindrop on my tongue. :) I'll send any extra your way!

cowgirl said...

Shoot Kelly those grass fires are scary... Hope you get rain soon!

Unknown said...

Glad to here you finally got some rain, now send a little down to my friends in Texas.

cowgirl said...

I saw rain south of me last night. Hope your friends got some of it! Thanks Capt Ron! :)

Unknown said...

I used your Cinder block pit to BBQ ribs and make Chinese bbq pork on my wedding day, every one loved it now its at my daughters house where my 5 grand child get to use it as a fire pit and i get to cook for them any time i can. a 70 dollar investment and a great way to cook. I got tons of compliments on the ribs the pork and the oysters cook on the cinder block pit. Thank you for sharing your findings with the rest of us.

cowgirl said...

Unknown, that is wonderful! So glad the pit is working out well for you!
Congratulations on your wedding.. I bet the ribs and chinese bbq pork were outstanding. Your oysters sound great too, that's something I wish I could get in my area. :)
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. I really appreciate it! :)

Chris said...

And I thought the power pole photo was going to be a UFO, ha ha.

cowgirl said...

lol Chris! I bet I would have flown across that pasture to get out of there. A few hours before I arrived, they heard a cougar calling... that kept me on my toes the rest of the night. lol