Search Feature

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hot Tub Hens on the Hasty Bake

This was my first try at game hens on the Hasty Bake Charcoal Grill/Smoker.
I made a brine of kosher salt, raw sugar, pepper corns, onion, garlic, bay leaves and one kaskaskian pepper ( sent to me by smoking friend Ash, Thanks again Ash!)
Let the girls soak for a few hours...



Slathered them in butter and placed more butter under the skin. I went with a sprinkle of my Smokin' Pal Big Poppa's Little Louie's Seasoned Garlic Salt with Pepper....and a sprinkle of Soileaus Rub...sent to me by smoking friend Sparky. (Thanks Sparky :))





Fired up the Hasty Bake...



I placed the hens on the top rack and placed a drip pan containing water, bay leaves and another kaskaskian pepper. Then added a hunka Spam. :)




I wasn't sure how the Hasty Bake would perform so I lowered the hot coal rack to the "smoke" level and closed the lid. I also added a dish of rice with morel mushrooms..
When the Spam had "blossomed" I sprinkled it with the usual cayenne brown sugar mixture and spritzed it with whiskey..then let the smoke for another 15 minutes.



The hens roasted beautifully on the top rack.




The rice was nice and fluffy....



I know... I make these too often. They are so tasty! :)








I was very happy with the game hens! They roasted on the top shelf of the Hasty Bake for 1 1/2 hours and came out perfect. Moist and tender.... It was a no-fuss meal. :)




I was a happy girl again! :)

18 comments:

Tripple T said...

Hi cowgirl! The meal looks great! You know you keep this up and your gonna become famous and you won't have time to talk to me any more. But untill then you keep cooking and i'll keep drooling!!:) One day i'll be able to tell people I was her friend when she was just a cowgirl! Hope you have a blessed day your friend Mark!

cowgirl said...

lol...Thanks Mark! :)
I'm pretty sure that won't happen but thanks! Hope you are having a great week.

Anonymous said...

Oh please aanounce my regrets to the Americana in photo below and in the photo above.

Ha! Ha.

Sure does look good.

Jim Dorchak
Qm2ss.blogspot.com

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

There's a joke in there about topless hens lounging in a hot tub, but I can't think of it

Another joke in the three hens and spam photo. I'm gonna wake up at 3 AM and laugh, laugh, laugh

Great post

cowgirl said...

Hahaha... Jim I'll do that. Thanks!

cowgirl said...

lol Dave! I'm sure there is!
If you remember it... don't call me at 3 a.m. please. lol
Thanks Dave. :)

Marc van der Wouw said...

Very nice looking hens....in a tub.LoL Happy girl;-)

Tango Joe said...

The Hasty Bake looks like a really nice grill/bbq. Could be that there is a new cooking machine in my future.
Of course, the food looks as amazing as ever!

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

They certainly look relaxed! Thanks for the laugh and the meal looks scrumptious as usual!

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Marc! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Joe! :)
I'm really liking this grill.
Hope you have a great weekend!

cowgirl said...

:) Thanks David!!

JazzCat said...

Jeanie, your cookin' always makes me smile!
Another wonderful dish!!

cowgirl said...

Thank you JazzCat!! It's good to see ya. Hope your weekend is going well! :)

Anonymous said...

Loved the photo of the "girls" soaking in the tub.

Rueben said...

I love game hens and yours look fantastic. Color is great and they look sooo juicy. The rice has got to taste fantastic also. I've got to try the rice that way. This is a coincidence as I just bought a couple of game hens the other day. Again, you have inspired me to get into some smoke.
Thanks for such an awesome post.
Have a great weekend!!!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Anonymous! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Rueben! I bet your game hens came out great! Hope you had a wonderful weekend too. :)