Search Feature

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Smoked Venison Beer Brat Balls.....with Kraut

I had planned on making a batch of foot long venison beer brats but ran short on time so I just made brat balls instead. I've made sausage balls in the past and love them. They are quick and tasty. :)


For the brats I mixed two parts of my venison burger with one part pork.. Made a slurry with my spices and one cup of beer.....

1 tsp allspice
1 tsp crushed caraway
1 tsp marjoram
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp salt
this was for about 3 lbs of meat I do a fry test (fry up a patty to test the flavor) Then let the brat meat chill overnight.






made golfball sized balls and put them into the smoker with some hickory at 295 degrees F


They smoked for one hour...




They went fast! I served two Q sauces and some spicy mustard but everyone liked them plain.


I saved a few to serve with some kraut. Topped them with caramelized onions...


they were so tasty. :)




These venison beer brat balls make great snacks. :)

10 comments:

Marc van der Wouw said...

This is a great looking snack...

cowgirl said...

Thanks Marc!
They were quick and tasty. :)

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Looks Great Jeanie, great idea! I haven't seen a Coors can in years! memories....

cowgirl said...

Thanks David! These cans are some of the old style. Kind of a retro can I guess. :)

Rueben said...

I'm doing some babybacks today, but I think I'm going to have to try this out also. Why waste the fire and smoke. They look sooo good!!!
Everything on your blog looks good. I think I gained about 30 lbs just looking at all the good stuff.
Great job Cowgirl!!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Rueben! I'm enjoying your blog too. :)

Phil said...

I'll have a batch of home-made sauerkraut ready in 1.5 weeks and some deer burger in the freezer... I'll have to try these :D

cowgirl said...

Phil that sounds great! :) Hope it turns out well for ya!

Smoking Gun said...

Looks great CG. I make something similar for tailgating and parties except I use regular ground round and add a tbsp or two of dried, chopped, habeneros (along with other spices) then wrap em with bacon. They seem to enhance the urge to drink very nicely. (Not that I need enhancing.) ;)

Thanks for showing us your balls.
:P

Smoking Gun.

cowgirl said...

Hey SG! How in the heck have you been?
Your meatballs sound great, I'm gonna try those peppers.. maybe something milder than habeneros (cause I'm a wuss).
Thanks for the ideas and for stopping by. :)