Search Feature

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Holy Smokin & Cinnamon Chipotle Dove Breasts and Venison Kabobs

Whew...what a long title! :p



I received two packs of dry rub to try out last month and have finally had the chance to taste them!
One package of Cinnamon Chipotle BBQ Rub from good friend Bill Mothershead at Black Eyed Pigz , and a package of Ross's Holy Smokin' Chipotle from one of my favorite people in the whole world, Ross at Grilling Smoking and Baking.












I decided to try both rubs at the same time on some venison and dove.



I cubed up a bit of venison meat...

If you cut the venison hunks almost twice the thickness of the dove breasts, the meat will come out great. The dove will be cooked and the venison will be pink in the middle. (not overcooked)



These are dove from the fall hunting season .




I like to filet the meat from the breast for kabobs.






I divided the venison and dove then coated them with the two dry rubs...



I put extra onions on Ross' Holy Smokin' Chipotle kabob so I could keep track of which was which.

yeah... leave it to me to mix the two up, even though one contains cinnamon. lol I don't trust myself. :)









Time for the taste test.





The Cinnamon Chipotle dove and venison....



Ross' Holy Smokin Chipotle dove and venison...




Both rubs were different and both were SOOOO good! :)





I definately didn't have a favorite between the two... Bill's Cinnamon Chipotle rub and a nice cinnamon flavor but still packed a chipotle kick. You can use more or less of the rub to make it mild or hotter. I'm not a huge fan of really hot stuff (I like to still be able to taste the meat).
It was perfect in my opinion.

Ross' Holy Smokin' Chipotle rub was killer too. You can see the color of the spices in the bottom photo. I have no idea if Ross' rub is for sale yet but will find out soon.
I'd love to try it on some beef, maybe a skirt steak or brisket...

Both rubs would be great on chicken too!

I know that Bill's Cinnamon Chipotle Rub is for sale on his site..
Black Eyed Pigz .

Thank you Ross and Bill, I really enjoyed both dry rubs, they were wonderful!


6 comments:

rdp said...

Cowgirl... happy 2011! Been awhile since I visited, but when I wanted a new idea on how to cook some venison just harvested, your site flew back to memory. Glad it did you always have such cool ideas. So the cinnimon worked in the rub? Not to overpowering?

rdp

cowgirl said...

rdp! It's good to see ya! :)
Hope 2011 is treating you well.
Congratulations on harvesting the venison too.

The cinnamon was tasty. I wondered what it would be like too when Bill mentioned it.
I've seen other cinnamon rubs but have never tried one before.
The combination of cinnamon and chipotle went well together. Kind of a sweet heat thing going on.

I was suprised that it went well with cold beer too. lol

Good to see you, hope you stop by more often. :)

Bill@blackeyedpigz.com said...

Wow, thanks for the kind words! Coming from you it means alot. Let me know if you ever run out of that rub, and I'll get you taken care of.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Bill, your Cinnamon Chipotle rub was awesome! I appreciate you giving me the chance to try it out. Can't wait to try it on some chicken, pork and beef now. :)

Chris said...

I LOVE Holy Smokin' Chipotle! It's probably my favorite new rub I tried in 2010.

Unfortunately RichardFL doesn't plan on marketing it. I asked him last month because I wanted to promote it on my blog. He said it's just a hobby and he doesn't want to make it "work". So just count yourself as fortunate to have a package, it makes it even more special!

Ross and I are just lucky to get his care packages :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks Chris! I loved this stuff too.
I thought this was a batch that Ross made.. I probably misunderstood him.
Thanks for the info! :)