Search Feature

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Another New Year...

Can't believe I made it til midnight last night... but I did! :)

I didn't take pics of all of the food but we snacked on shrimp, calf fries, meatballs in cream gravy, sausages, chips, dips, crackers, cheese, fruit and veggies ( I think that was all)....while sipping on cold beer, wine, whiskey, and bubbly at midnight.

By the time I crawled under the covers the clock read 3 something.... no wonder I'm tired today!







Being tired didn't stop me from making my favorite new years day food.. hoppin' john, ham, greens and jalapeno cornbread.

I fried a few pieces of bacon.. cooked my onions, garlic and peppers in the bacon drippings..


added 2 cups of chicken broth, diced ham, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano and basil.... then some rice.


After the rice absorbed the broth, I added a spoonfull of butter then salt and peppered the pot to taste.


Crumbled the crisp fried bacon over top.

This is how I make hoppin' john while camping... Hoppin'John



I might be sleepy but it looks like the skillet of cornbread is smiling at me...





The hoppin' john with black eyed peas for luck, greens for wealth, fried ham and jalapeno cornbread....



I have a feeling this is going to be an extra good year for me. :)



12 comments:

LindaG said...

That really looks good. :-)
Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds like something we would like!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Linda! Hope you had a nice first day of the year. :)

drholly said...

Hey Jeanie - Great cook and looks like you had a nice New Years Eve. Good for you. I hope you have a wonderful 2011!
David

cowgirl said...

Thanks David! I enjoyed visiting with my friends. Have a feeling 2011 is going to be a good one. Hope your 2011 is wonderful too!
Thanks friend. :)

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Hey Cowgirl, first year in 5 years that Jackie and I were awake at midnight. Must say something about optimism.

As always, your blog is a delight to visit. It's been a very entertaining year to visit you and looking forward to 2011!

Dave

cowgirl said...

:) Glad to hear you two made it to midnight too Dave!
I enjoy your blogs too... hope you have a wonderful 2011.
Thanks Dave.. :)

Big Dude said...

Looks like you've got the new year off to a good start. I stayed up til about 9:30.

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Lovely as usual Jeanie!

cowgirl said...

Larry it was a nice evening.. lots of laughs.
I won't be staying up that late again anytime soon though. :)
Hope 2011 is good to ya!

cowgirl said...

Thank you David! I love hoppin' john. It's one of my comfort foods. Hope 2011 is good to you too!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Happy New Year to ya Jeanie. All the goodies look pretty tastey. Your tired eyes ar'nt deceiving you Jeanie, that corn bread is definately smiling at you.

cowgirl said...

Haha...Thanks Mark, I wondered if I was just seeing things. :)
Hope 2011 is extra good to you Mark!