Search Feature

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pulled Pork Tostada Bar...more deer camp food

I love these... they are so easy to make and can feed a large group.


I smoke the pork butt in advance, then in the morning I shred the meat into the pot, add minced onions, jalapenos and enough beef broth to keep it moist. Salt to taste. Let it simmer on low all afternoon...




then set out the toppings... refried beans, fresh pico, chipotle slaw, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, fresh limes, salsa, black olives, lettuce... and anything else you can think of. :)

Everyone builds their own.




I topped mine with refried beans and the pulled pork...




then a bit of everything else. They were sooo good! :)



12 comments:

Craig said...

Great idea to of my favorite food groups BBQ & Tex-Mex on one plate I'm sold. Looks delicious Jeanie.

Big Dude said...

Looks like great food and an excellent way to feed a crowd - I like to do build your own dishes like that.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

And I just happen to have some pulled pork in my freezer... I love saving these recipes for winter when it's such a treat to have smoked pulled pork

Thanks

cowgirl said...

Craig thanks! I love Tex-mex too.:)

cowgirl said...

Me too Larry, It sure makes things easier on the cook when folks can build their own. Thanks!!

Nick said...

Jeanie,

Any update on the deer harvest?

cowgirl said...

Dave thanks! It's so nice to have pulled pork on hand for a quick meal. I probably should stock up on more.:)

cowgirl said...

Hi Nick! Deer season has been great this year. Everyone got their limit. I have one more to go.

I was just outside feeding and saw 6 in the pasture watching me. lol
Maybe I'll get to go out tomorrow to hunt.
Hope you are having good luck too.
Thanks Nick!

Chris said...

These look so tasty, J, but since this is deer camp, do deer really like pulled pork? (ha ha ha, just kidding)

Great spread. I don't think I'd want to go out into the stands. I'd rather stay at camp eating these beauties!

Nick said...

Jeanie,

Glad to hear you are having good luck. I'm not a deer hunter, but had a great pheasant/quail hunt last weekend with my dad and one of my sons in western Kansas.

cowgirl said...

lol Chris! If ya didn't hunt, I'd make ya cook! :)

cowgirl said...

Nick that sounds great! I get a few pheasants here but nothing like what's in western KS. They are thick up there. :)
Glad to hear your hunt was successful.. will be good eating this winter. :)
Thanks Nick!