Search Feature

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Creamy Smoked Pork Risotto

When I smoked the jalapeno cornbread stuffed pork chops

on the Memphis Pro the other day, I also smoked a few extra cured chops for another meal.








The smoked cured chops...













I heated some chicken stock and sauteed my onions and garlic in a combination of olive oil and butter...




added the smoky pork to flavor the drippings....





removed the pork, onion and garlic and added my arborio rice....

I let the rice cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly...



then it was time to add liquid. I started with one cup of white wine... stirred until it was completely absorbed...then added my hot stock...

I added 1/2 cup of stock at a time...stirring constantly....

When each addition was absorbed, I added more... stirring until I was pretty sure my arm was going to fall off. :)

I had read about an easier method of adding the stock at one time and letting it simmer.. but no... I had to do it the old way. lol



When the risotto became creamy... instead of adding the usual parmesan...
I added shredded, smoked provolone and mozarella cheese.







then added the smoked pork, onions and garlic...



It was worth the time and effort. I'm glad I made a big batch too! :)


12 comments:

darius said...

YUM!

Big Dude said...

My daughter in law and I were discussing rice this afternoon and I mentioned that I would like to try making some risotto and you may have inspired me. Yours looks delicious.

Andrew Burke said...

That looks incredible! And I've tried the all at once with the broth method... Not nearly as creamy! Good job! And congrats on the new pup!

-Andrew

cowgirl said...

Thanks Darius!

cowgirl said...

Larry, hope you give risotto a try, it takes time but it's worth it in the end.
Thanks and good luck! :)

cowgirl said...

Andrew, Thank you.....and thank you for the tip about the broth. I wondered how that would work. Looks like I'll stick to the slow method.

The pup has been a lot of fun so far. :)

Thanks Andrew!

Anonymous said...

How does your smoker end up looking so shiny and new? The interior of my smoker is black, sooty and greasy looking. I sometimes hesitate to cook another meal in it, and instead have the urge to clean it, but that thought passes quickly! Could it be mine is a charcoal smoker?

Mrs. JP said...

It looks wonderful as usual. I just noticed we went from easy peasy cooking in the dishwasher to "stirring constantly!" Gal of many talents. :)

Republic Monetary Exchange said...

I've been too intimidated to try making risotto but this recipe looks too good to pass up! How long did it take you to make, from start to finish?

cowgirl said...

Anonymous I know what you mean. I had to clean my drum up a bit this weekend. Didn't know if I wanted to put food in it or not. :)
This smoker is still fairly new. I don't worry about the inside walls but try to clean the grates up a bit before cooking. I've gotten past the "keep it spotless" stage. :)

Thanks Anonymous!

cowgirl said...

lol Mrs JP, this one took a bit of time. It was tasty though.
Thanks!! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks Republic!
It took about 35 to 40 minutes total.. I sauteed the rice in the drippings for 10 minutes before adding any liquid.
I used the whole bag of rice..which was around 2 cups of rice. Then the one cup of wine and one quart of stock.
It came out nice and creamy.

Good luck with yours! :)