Search Feature

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Update on my Shrimp Herd

I have been meaning to post an update on my shrimp.
The shrimp are hatched in salt water and then introduced to fresh water for the "grow out" phase. I buy the juveniles that have already been introduced to fresh water and stock my small windmill pond in May....then harvest the shrimp in October.







I stock from 1,000 to 2,000 each spring. Here is a picture of one of this year's 60 day old juveniles....

This years batch......
To check their growth, I catch a few and measure them on the tailgate of my pickup.....

Some are more aggressive and grow at a faster rate.










My assistants like to help by making the shrimp jump....



My assistants....





The shrimp are coming along fine, looks like I will have a good crop again this year. :)








For anyone interested in more info, I have a post about the shrimp in my "favorites" section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some mighty fine looking assistants you have there cowgirl. Shrimp look pretty tasty too!

cowgirl said...

lol...Thank you anonymous! :) I enjoy watching the horses make the shrimp jump....then the shrimp making the horses jump. Both are able to jump pretty high. :)